Answered By: E-library Team Last Updated: 21 Feb, 2017 Views: 7788
At the moment Write-N-Cite 4 is compatible with RefWorks 2.0 and the following versions of Word and operating systems:
- Windows 7 / 8: Word 2013, Word 2010 - use the latest version of Write-N-Cite 4.4.1376 - Word 2007 users should use an older version of Write-N-Cite 4 (available from the Dropbox link below)
- Windows 10: Write-N-Cite 4.4.1376 should also be compatible with Word 2016 and Windows 10 but please take care to install the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version (see last link below)
- Mac OS X: Word 2011 or Word 2008 use Write-N-Cite version 4.4.1420
- Mac OS X: Word 2016 is not compatible with Write-N-Cite -- it is compatible with a new Word Add-in called RefWorks Citation Manager and you can use this to login to legacy RefWorks 2.0 or the new RefWorks 3.0. We recommend that existing RefWorks users remain on RefWorks 2.0 for now (new users, see also below, * Further advice on switching the the new version of RefWorks *)
You may install Write-N-Cite 4 by logging on to your RefWorks account (see relevant link below). You must also install the following pre-requisites * before * you install Write-N-Cite 4:
- Windows 7 / 8: requires 32-bit versions of Java 8 (get update 101 or later) and Visual Studio for Office Runtime 2010 (this should be included in ProQuest's WNC4 installer) - check the related FAQ below for more details
- Mac OS X - Yosemite (10.10) or El Capitan (10.11) require a special variant of Java for OS X 2015-001 whereas Mavericks (10.9) or earlier versions of OS X requires Java 8 (get update 101 or later) for Mac, see the related FAQ below: How do I install ProQuest / RefWorks Write-N-Cite version 4 on a MacBook?
Please ensure you install all the 32-bit pre-requisites for your particular operating system. See the links and related FAQs below.
Windows 10 users should check whether the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Word should be installed - we normally recommend the 32-bit version unless you specifically require the 64-bit version - for advice, see the last link below.
Please note: Brunel University London now offers all members a version of Microsoft Office 365 free, under an educational licence, for the duration of your studies (staff members may also take advantage of this offer). You may obtain the package by logging on to the Connect Portal (https://connect.brunel.ac.uk) and then, under My Apps, sign in to Microsoft Office 365. Windows users will be able to install Word 2013 (the 32-bit version) on their devices.
Mac users will get Word 2016, which is not compatible with WNC4, so please keep Word 2011 if you have it installed so you can use WNC4.4.1420 (you may install both versions on your MacBook but Word 2011 is not available from the Microsoft Office 365 package).
* Further advice: you may install RefWorks Citation Manager (RCM) from Word 2016's Insert tab > Add-ins > Word Store > then search for RefWorks - select the RefWorks Citation Manager add-in and add it by clicking the 'trust it' button. You will then be requested to enter your RefWorks log in details before you can start using it.
Alternatively, new users may choose to switch to the new version of RefWorks 3.0 now and use the RCM add-in: If you have a Mac and you only have Microsoft Word 2016 you may use the new RefWorks Citation Manager Add-In but please note that this version is only compatible with RefWorks 3.0. For details on switching to RefWorks 3.0 see the link below.