Answered By: Monique Ritchie
Last Updated: 12 Jan, 2017     Views: 1825

The University is licensed to use Turnitin, plagiarism detection software, but at Brunel University London, students do not have access to Turnitin. Access is currently provided to academic staff only, and to the Library for certain purposes.

If you are a MPhil or PhD student, from September 2014 a special service is provided for you and your supervisors to help meet open access, research integrity and copyright requirements. You must submit the final draft of your thesis to CheckIt, a thesis check service operated by the Library before your Viva Voce examination.

CheckIt uses Turnitin to generate a report for you and your supervisor. Under current University policy, the Library is authorised to check a doctoral thesis at the final draft stage, and if necessary, following award. See Submitting your thesis below for further information and to submit your final draft to CheckIt.

The Library is not authorised to check any other student work, including undergraduate or Master's dissertations, however under University regulations, your instructor or supervisor is able to use Turnitin to check your work themselves.

If you have any concerns about plagiarism in your work, you should raise the matter with your lecturer or supervisor in the first instance, who will be able to advise.

Further help and information

You can find out more on plagiarism, referencing and related issues using the links below.

The Library runs sessions on referencing and avoiding plagiarism in Colleges, or on individual modules on request from academic staff. You can also contact your Subject Liaison Librarian - for contact details see About Us on the Library homepage.

ASK in the Brunel Educational Excellence Centre (BEEC) and the Graduate School also run academic and research skills workshops and events such as ASK Week and Master's Dissertation Week during the year. Look out for these on the ASK and Graduate School web pages.

If you need to talk to someone in confidence, the Advice and Representation Centre may be able to help. See the web page: Welfare and advice.