Answered By: Monique Ritchie
Last Updated: 05 Feb, 2020     Views: 1

Before submitting your manuscript

  1. Check that your chosen journal or publisher allows you to meet the open access requirements for REF a via the Green or Gold route using SHERPA-REF. If your article is from funded research, you should also check the funder's open access publishing requirements using SHERPA-FACTIn the event of policy conflict, authors should follow the guidance for REF compliance. Please seek advice from Open Access if you are unsure.

  2. If your selected journal or venue is fully open access, contact Open Access to find out whether funding is available before your submit your manuscript.

On acceptance for publication 

  1. Authors should deposit the author accepted manuscript in BRAD immediately on acceptance for publication. You can view publishers' archiving policy from SHERPA-RoMEO.

  2. If an APC is being paid for open access, authors must choose a CC-BY licence. Please note that when an APC is paid for Gold open access, CC-BY-NC or CC-BY-NC-ND licences are not compliant with UK REF requirements, Brunel and many funder policies. 

Where the Green open access route allows you to meet the REF and funder requirements, Open Access may recommend that you follow this route to ensure that the limited public funds are appropriately spent.