Answered By: Monique Ritchie
Last Updated: 06 May, 2015     Views: 100

This is to ensure that you and the University comply with HEFCE (Higher Education Funding Council for England) open access requirements and that your research remains eligible for submission to the Research Excellence Framework (REF).

In fact, as staff you only need to upload your papers to BRAD, Brunel's research publication database. Once you deposit a paper, this enters a holding area where it is visible to the Library's Research Publications team, who will then review the file, check publisher copyright and embargo policies and make it accessible in BURA, Brunel's research archive.

All academic staff authors are individually responsible for meeting HEFCE's requirements in relation to published journal articles and conference proceedings whether they are the lead or joint author on a published paper.

For all your published journal articles or conference proceedings, you must keep the final peer-reviewed author draft and upload this version to BRAD as soon as the publisher has accepted this version of your paper.

It is crucial to do this immediately, as HEFCE has set a maximum time limit of three months on processing time for deposited items, which includes checking compliance with publisher copyright and embargo policies and making them publicly discoverable and accessible in BURA. Publications which have not been deposited in BRAD upon acceptance, will not be eligible for the next Research Excellence Framework (REF) assessment and will receive a zero rating.

HEFCE's policy applies to all eligible publication types accepted on or after 1 April 2016, but as publication cycles vary widely by publisher and discipline, outputs submitted now could well be published after this date, when the new policy will apply. Therefore authors are asked to follow this policy from now.

If you are an academic staff author who has written or contributed to journal articles and conference proceedings which acknowledge RCUK funding, there are additional open access publishing requirements. See the Open Access Publishing page in the links below for more information.

For advice about open access requirements, please contact the Open Access Officer.