Answered By: Monique Ritchie
Last Updated: 12 Nov, 2014     Views: 346

Pictures from books in your thesis or in its appendices would constitute third party copyright material, so you would need permission or a licence from the rightsowner. 

If you want to do this, it is your responsibility to ensure that you have secured all necessary consents at the time you are conducting your research. These must include permission to submit your thesis for examination electronically, as this is now the compulsory mode of submission. You must also obtain permission to include third party material in the final version archived in a public-facing open access repository.

When obtaining consent, it should be in writing, and you should obtain a warranty that the person granting consent is authorised to do so.

Further information about using third party copyright material in your thesis is available on the Library website.