Answered By: Monique Ritchie
Last Updated: 21 Sep, 2017     Views: 252

Under University regulations, you are required to deposit your thesis in the University's open access research archive (BURA), following the Viva Voce examination and corrections. If your thesis needs to be embargoed, you should apply for one using the Thesis Deposit Licence form, indicating the reason for the embargo and the length of the embargo. 

An embargo will normally only be granted for a limited period, and in certain circumstances, for example, if it contains security sensitive material, which can't be redacted.

If you need to renew an embargo, you will need to complete a new Thesis Deposit Licence form, supplying the reason for the embargo, and obtaining approval from your supervisor or head of department, if your supervisor is unavailable.

Embargoed theses should be deposited in the Library in the usual way. The Library receives a copy of the approved embargo and will store it securely until the embargo period expires. Metadata relating to your thesis (author, title, date, abstract) will appear on BURA, but the file itself will remain inaccessible until the embargo expires.

A link to the Thesis Deposit Licence form can be found on our Submitting your thesis web page, below.